Looking for a light, simple and satisfying breakfast? Try our Sunny Skillet Gratin recipe which we spruced up a few times during our stay in Napa and Sonoma. We bought the ingredients from Whole Foods, but you should be able to find every ingredient at your local grocery store. Let us know what you think!
Serving size: 2-4 people (depending how hangry you are)
Prep & cook time: 30-45 minutes
- 5 medium red potatoes
- 4 slices of thick cut smoked bacon
- 1 shallot
- 1 cup of cotija cheese (easy to crumble with hands)
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup of chopped scallions
- 2 halves of bell peppers (red and yellow, but feel free to choose other colors)
- 1 handful of crimini mushrooms
- 4 brown eggs
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil (can substitute with olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, coriander, herbs de provence
- 2 avocados (optional)
- Start off by prepping your mise en place.
- Wash and clean produce.
- Dice the red potatoes while keeping the skin on for texture and color. Dice bacon too.
- Mince shallots, julienne or slice the bell peppers, and roughly chop the crimini mushrooms (keep or remove stems depending on your preference).
- In a separate bowl, mix chopped scallions and cilantro then crumbled cotija cheese.
- Let’s get cookin’.
- Place a medium pan on stove, add avocado oil, set to medium-high heat then add shallots and bacon.
- Once both begin to crisp, add potatoes and bell peppers. Season to taste (not too much salt) then let it cook until the potatoes start to brown over. As soon as the browning starts, add mushrooms and butter. Mix all the ingredients and let it cook until mushrooms soak up some of the moisture and shrink in size.
- At this point, the dish is almost done! Now, it’s time for the eggs to join and get happy.
- Crack 4 eggs over the top and space evenly from one another.
- Use your hands to drizzle the cotija, scallion and cilantro mix over the gratin.
- Place cover over the pan to let the steam and heat cook the eggs and let the cotija cheese melt to ooey-gooey perfection!
- While your Sunny Skillet Gratin is nearing the finish line, begin cutting the avocados for a garnish. Either sliced long or dice the avocados.